At MemorialCare Miller Children’s & Women’s Hospital Long Beach, we’re dedicated exclusively to the quality and compassionate care of kids and expectant moms.
Only five percent of all hospitals are children’s hospitals, making them unique not only to children’s health care needs in the community, but across the region. We’re one of only eight free-standing children’s hospitals in California.
We’re a not-for-profit, pediatric teaching hospital that treats more than 8,000 children each year and has become a regional pediatric destination for more than 60,000 children, who need specialized care in our Outpatient Specialty Centers each year. Our Cherese Mari Laulhere BirthCare Center delivers more than 5,500 babies each year and receives nearly 100 transported high-risk moms. More than 750 pediatric specialists and sub-specialists, as well as nearly 100 OB/GYNs, including 10 high-risk pregnancy specialists (maternal-fetal specialists), ensure that the highest quality, compassionate care is given to each patient and their family.
Patient and family centered care is a cornerstone of our care. Our care teams and physicians understand that parents and families are an important part of the health care team and help improve recovery times. Child Life Specialists help patients adjust to their hospital stay and maintain their daily, normal childhood activities. Family resource centers, parent mentors and parent advocates are available to ease the anxieties for hospitalization for the entire family. We value patient safety and ensures that quality initiatives are met.
Part of MemorialCare
We’re one of eight free-standing children’s hospitals in California, and the only one of its kind in a major health system, such as MemorialCare. We embody MemorialCare’s core values which are integrated through the MemorialCare iABC’S: integrity, accountability, best practices, compassion and synergy.
By the Numbers
- 357 licensed pediatric and women’s beds
- 14,900 pediatric admissions each year
- 6,850 pediatric surgical cases each year
- 33,400 pediatric ED visits
- 5,500 births each year
- 1,200 NICU babies each year
- More than 1,500 patients treated in the PICU each year
- More than 870 pediatric physicians, including pediatric specialists, sub-specialists, hospitalists and intensivists
- 860 pediatric registered nurses
- 20 California Children’s Services Centers
- More than 30 different sub-specialties represented, including cardiology, pulmonology, oncology and more